List:       abiword-dev
Subject:    Text relations in ots;
From:       Nadav Rotem <nadavrotem () mail ! ru>
Date:       2003-12-02 7:59:46

I added two new functions to the CVS version of OTS:

int ots_text_relations(
const unsigned char *text1,const unsigned char *lang_code1,
const unsigned char *text2,const unsigned char *lang_code2,const int
topic_num);
                                                                                      \
 char* ots_text_topics(
const unsigned char *text,const unsigned char *lang_code,int topic_num);

These two functions tell you how two blocks of text relate to
one-another. The score given is the number of topics the two share. One
example of an application is to have a program automatically give score
to comments on slashdot based on how they relate to the main article;
The program can tell if the comment is on or off-topic but cannot tell
if it is smart/funny/informative etc. Another application is to be able
to bring up similar documents or the one that relates to our document
the most from a group of documents. I notified the good people at
dashboard and storage and got positive feedback. I also added an example
program to the OTS cvs that gives score to the relations between two
text files.

-Nadav Rotem