List:       9fans
Subject:    Re: [9fans] arcnet
From:       steve <steve () quintile ! net>
Date:       2013-02-21 21:11:23

On 21 Feb 2013, at 17:36, lucio@proxima.alt.za wrote:

>> Not sure what you mean, but we run arcnet in bus mode (no central hub), on
>> 75 ohm coax with modified PCI cards using 75ohm terminations - 75ohm coax
>> abounds in TV stations.
>
> The cost of maintaining such a system must look prohibitive when
> compared with off-the-shelf products.  And then you need device
> drivers for every generation of OS that comes along.  I'd be at least
> curious as to how these costs are justified.

not really.

contemporary controls, who manufacture the pci arcnet cards
supply the drivers for windows. we have drivers for the com20020
NIC for our embedded os, and the chips a as cheap as... well, old chips.

our bridge and cards are just a different software on a fairly standard
modular card which fits in our 3u rack system.

if anyone wants detail contact me off-list, this is already creating too much noise.

my real reason for asking was to gauge interest in a plan9 arcnet driver
as i am perfectly placed to write one, but it seems there is no interest at all.
this is a problem thought, i have plenty else to do :-)