List:       9fans
Subject:    Re: [9fans] HELP: recoving important header file rudely clobbered
From:       John Floren <john () jfloren ! net>
Date:       2011-01-30 4:56:44

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 8:49 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
>> > I have no idea.  I just chose the default installation options,
>> > installing from the CD following the install instructions.  As far as I
>> > know, "Venti" is a volcano in Italy.
>> >

>> In that case, you'll only have Fossil installed.
>
> and here i thought that venti was a swimming pool of
> rather bland coffee. ☺
>
> just for clarity, it's possible to install from cd with either
> fossil or fossil+venti.  i'd recommend against a fossil+venti
> install unless you can give clean shutdowns more than just a
> good college try.
>
> - erik

That is definitely a consideration. For instance, I've found that
Fossil wants to dump to Venti in the first boot after installation; if
you should reboot before it's done, you can easily end up with a
corrupted filesystem. This has happened to me several times, usually
because I install and then immediately begin setting up the system as
a cpu/auth/file server... which requires rebooting after a few minutes
of configuration changes.

Oh, and if you don't have DMA on, your Venti dumps will take hours. I
found that after ripping a few CDs, the 4 a.m. scheduled dump would
still be going on at noon. "echo dma on > /dev/sdC0/ctl" will take
care of that, put it in your termrc/cpurc to enable it at every boot.

John