List:       9fans
Subject:    Re: [9fans] 9p resource sharing [was: Scanners]
From:       Jorden Mauro <jrm8005 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-11-28 19:17:37

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 10:42 AM, Ethan Grammatikidis
<eekee57@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On 28 Nov 2009, at 2:28 pm, hiro wrote:
>
>> It's also very easy to run my toaster diskless. Does this say anything
>> about it's elegance or simplicity? I don't remember what my toaster
>> has to do with 9p, but nevermind.
>
> And somebody always mentions toasters! Or coffee machines... :D
>
> Actually, yes it does say a lot about a toaster's elegant simplicity: a
> toaster only has parts to do the job intended. At a minimum a switched
> heater, a sprung sliding bread carrier which also switches the heater, and a
> thermally-releasing latch for the slider. I have seen a toaster without even
> that much complexity; it had glass sides so you could see when your toast
> was done how you like it.

There is a toaster that burns a picture of a raincloud, sun,
snowflake, etc. depending
on the morning's forecast. There is also a coffee pot you can control
via ethernet.

The coffee pot runs windows and there is a virus that causes Coffee
Denial of Service
on it.