List:       9fans
Subject:    Re: [9fans] mounting channels in a Plan 9 server?
From:       rog () vitanuova ! com
Date:       2004-03-29 20:23:26

> trivially it could be done using general plan9 tools by mounting A
> somewhere, mounting B in one of the directories served by A and
> srvfs-ing the whole thing, but what if I don't want to post a file
> descriptor in /srv?

then use exportfs directly (it's what srvfs uses, after all).

this is the correct solution; in general you can't just add the
namespace for one 9p server into another - after all they use
different qid, tag and fid spaces.

this kind of multiplexing is exactly what exportfs is for.  (along
with the kernel itself).

you could of course do the job of exportfs within your own fileserver
(but there are lots of non-trivial gotchas).  in limited domains, this
can be a reasonable approach; i've done similar things in the past.