List:       9fans
Subject:    [9fans] Re: Plan 9 or Inferno, which ot choose?
From:       Michael Jeffrey <michael () vitanuova ! com>
Date:       2000-09-25 9:23:56

They are similar in that they both virtualise resources in the
network through the aggressive, application of a simple,
unifying protocol.  This is contrast to the approach adopted
by other technologies (for example Java/Jini) which are
linguistic by nature. A linguistic approach to distribution requires
the implementation of a program (execution environment for the
language) around the network - such programs are typically large.
In general, an approach based on distribution of protocol not
program is likely to be more profitable.

Inferno takes the ideas of Plan 9 further still and
virtualises the entire OS.  As a consequence it can run
native on bare hardware and also hosted on top of an
existing OS (Windows, Linux, Solaris, ...).

Which to choose though?  Plan 9 is a C environment for application
development, Inferno is Limbo - so that may sway you one way
or the other.  Inferno does not necessarily require the replacement
of an existing OS, which may also influence the decision.  Perhaps
use both.

A full description of Inferno can be found at www.vitanuova.com and
also details of how to obtain the source code.