List:       9fans
Subject:    Re: sparc fileservers
From:       mike () majestix ! cs ! uoregon ! edu
Date:       1993-11-03 7:28:08

>| In fact, we have Plan 9 running here at UO using only the Unix
>| based file server, since right now there are no spare machines
>| to dedicate a Plan 9 file server.
>
>That's more or less our situation as well.  In a previous message you
>said that you were running with hacked sources and lots of things
>didn't work.  I'm interested in hearing more about what you've done and
>how things are working out these days.

Well, since several people have asked, I've included our diffs (with
explanations) to u9fs at the end of this message.  Note that they are
not quite the same as the Bell Labs diffs that Rob mailed out awhile
back--I had already discovered and fixed some of the problems
independently.

Most things I've tried seem to work Ok; the exception is the postscript
interpreter psi, which crashes for me on both the Sparc and the 68020,
in apparently the same way.  I have not put any deep debugging effort
into it.  Also, psi worked fine when I tried it on a 486 using kfs.
So I suspect psi may be interacting with u9fs in some strange way.

As for how I originally got Plan 9 up and working on a sparc
without a fileserver and without bootp, roughly:

0.  compiled u9fs on some convenient unix box; install in inetd.conf.
    contrary to the README in the u9fs source directory, plan 9 expects
    to find u9fs on port 564 (see /lib/ndb/local on the cdrom).
1.  boot plan9 off the cdrom
    i actually put the sparc/9sscd kernel in the SunOS root directory and
    used "b sd()9sscd".
2.  manually configure the network with ipconfig
3.  use "srv tcp!1.2.3.4" and then "mount -c /srv/tcp!1.2.3.4 /n/kremvax"
    to get the Unix system mounted on /n/kremvax.  used /n/kremvax as
    a scratch area to build a modified kernel.
4.  the kernel sources are in /sys/src/9.
    i looked at /sys/src/9/boot/ip.c, which uses bootp to get various
    information, and used it as a prototype for a new boot method which
    asks the user to manually enter all that information.
    then, i used the "/sys/src/9/ss/sscd" configuration as a prototype
    to create a new "ssuo" configuration, and built my modified kernel
    with "mk 'CONF=ssuo'" in the ss/ directory.

Disclaimer: as with all free advice, this is worth what it cost.
These things worked for me, but I didn't keep notes and so this is
all from 6-month-old memory.  Similar disclaimer applies to the u9fs
diffs below.

Here are our patches for u9fs; they do the following things:

* fix a bug in the handling of seek offsets
* set the qid.version field from the stat.st_mtime field, rathern than 0.
  this makes executable caching work correctly.
* hacks to increase the descriptor table size limit under
  SunOS (#define DTABLE) and Dynix/PTX (#define SETDTABLESIZE).  this is
  important since plan 9 keeps open file descriptors to recently
  used executables, and without this change u9fs quickly runs out
  of descriptors.
* a hack to make u9fs work correctly with the Dynix/PTX inetd,
  and perhaps other System V.3 implementations as well (#define TIRDWR).
* a hack to make Plan 9 systems get the right system date when booting.
  Plan 9 gets the system date from the access time of "/".  therefore,
  we read "/" before accepting any requests from the remote Plan 9.
* implement the ORCLOSE remove-on-close option used by Plan 9 programs
  that create temporary files.

diff -rc2 dist/u9fs.c u9fs.c
*** dist/u9fs.c	Sat Mar 20 04:34:51 1993
--- u9fs.c	Sun Apr 18 15:58:48 1993
***************
*** 8,11 ****
--- 8,18 ----
  #include "pwd.h"
  #include "grp.h"
+ #ifdef TIRDWR
+ #include <stropts.h>
+ #endif
+ #ifdef DTABLE
+ #include <sys/time.h>
+ #include <sys/resource.h>
+ #endif

  #define	DBG(f)
***************
*** 37,40 ****
--- 44,48 ----
  	int		fd;
  	DIR		*dir;
+ 	int		tempf;
  };

***************
*** 132,135 ****
--- 140,159 ----
  main(int argc, char *argv[])
  {
+ #ifdef TIRDWR
+ 	ioctl(0, I_PUSH, "tirdwr");
+ #endif
+ #ifdef SETDTABLESIZE
+ 	setdtablesize(256);
+ #endif
+ #if defined(DTABLE) && defined(RLIMIT_NOFILE)
+ 	{
+ 		struct rlimit rl;
+ 		getrlimit(RLIMIT_NOFILE, &rl);
+ 		rl.rlim_cur = rl.rlim_max;
+ 		if (rl.rlim_cur > 1024)
+ 			rl.rlim_cur = 1024;
+ 		setrlimit(RLIMIT_NOFILE, &rl);
+ 	}
+ #endif
  	freopen(LOG, "a", stderr);
  	setbuf(stderr, (void*)0);
***************
*** 243,246 ****
--- 267,281 ----
  	Pass *p;

+ 	/*
+ 	 * The following hack will force Plan 9 to get the right
+ 	 * system date when we are booting off a Unix server.
+ 	 */
+ 	{
+ 		DIR *dp;
+ 		dp = opendir("/");
+ 		readdir(dp);
+ 		closedir(dp);
+ 	}
+
  	err = 0;
  	if(file0 == 0){
***************
*** 343,347 ****
  	int fd;
  	DIR *dir;
! 	int m, trunc;

  	rf = rfilefid();
--- 378,382 ----
  	int fd;
  	DIR *dir;
! 	int m, trunc, tempf;

  	rf = rfilefid();
***************
*** 353,356 ****
--- 388,392 ----
  	m = rhdr.mode & (16|3);
  	trunc = m & 16;	/* OTRUNC */
+ 	tempf = rhdr.mode & 64;		/* ORCLOSE */
  	switch(m){
  	case 0:
***************
*** 402,405 ****
--- 438,442 ----
  	rf->fd->dir = dir;
  	rf->fd->offset = 0;
+ 	rf->fd->tempf = tempf;
  	thdr.qid = f->qid;
  }
***************
*** 411,415 ****
  	File *f, *of;
  	char *path, *err;
! 	int fd;
  	int m;
  	char name[NAMELEN];
--- 448,452 ----
  	File *f, *of;
  	char *path, *err;
! 	int fd, tempf;
  	int m;
  	char name[NAMELEN];
***************
*** 421,424 ****
--- 458,462 ----
  	path = bldpath(rf->file->path, rhdr.name, name);
  	m = omode(rhdr.mode&3);
+ 	tempf = rhdr.mode & 64;		/* ORCLOSE */
  	errno = 0;
  	if(rhdr.perm & CHDIR){
***************
*** 479,482 ****
--- 517,521 ----
  	rf->fd->dir = 0;
  	rf->fd->offset = 0;
+ 	rf->fd->tempf = tempf;
  	thdr.qid = f->qid;
  }
***************
*** 535,539 ****
  			strncpy(d.gid, id2name(gid, stbuf.st_gid), NAMELEN);
  			d.qid.path = qid(&stbuf);
! 			d.qid.vers = 0;
  			d.mode = (d.qid.path&CHDIR)|(stbuf.st_mode&0777);
  			d.atime = stbuf.st_atime;
--- 574,578 ----
  			strncpy(d.gid, id2name(gid, stbuf.st_gid), NAMELEN);
  			d.qid.path = qid(&stbuf);
! 			d.qid.vers = stbuf.st_mtime;
  			d.mode = (d.qid.path&CHDIR)|(stbuf.st_mode&0777);
  			d.atime = stbuf.st_atime;
***************
*** 546,552 ****
  	}else{
  		errno = 0;
! 		if(rf->fd->offset != rhdr.offset)
  			if(lseek(rf->fd->fd, rhdr.offset, 0) < 0)
  				errjmp(sys_errlist[errno]);
  		n = read(rf->fd->fd, rdata, rhdr.count);
  		if(n < 0)
--- 585,593 ----
  	}else{
  		errno = 0;
! 		if(rf->fd->offset != rhdr.offset) {
  			if(lseek(rf->fd->fd, rhdr.offset, 0) < 0)
  				errjmp(sys_errlist[errno]);
+ 			rf->fd->offset = rhdr.offset;
+ 		}
  		n = read(rf->fd->fd, rdata, rhdr.count);
  		if(n < 0)
***************
*** 570,576 ****
  		errjmp(Etoolarge);
  	errno = 0;
! 	if(rf->fd->offset != rhdr.offset)
  		if(lseek(rf->fd->fd, rhdr.offset, 0) < 0)
  			errjmp(sys_errlist[errno]);
  	n = write(rf->fd->fd, rhdr.data, rhdr.count);
  	if(n < 0)
--- 611,619 ----
  		errjmp(Etoolarge);
  	errno = 0;
! 	if(rf->fd->offset != rhdr.offset) {
  		if(lseek(rf->fd->fd, rhdr.offset, 0) < 0)
  			errjmp(sys_errlist[errno]);
+ 		rf->fd->offset = rhdr.offset;
+ 	}
  	n = write(rf->fd->fd, rhdr.data, rhdr.count);
  	if(n < 0)
***************
*** 688,691 ****
--- 731,742 ----
  			if(fd->dir)
  				closedir(fd->dir);
+ 			if (fd->tempf & 64) {	/* ORCLOSE */
+ 				if (f->qid.path & CHDIR)
+ 					ret = rmdir(f->path);
+ 				else
+ 					ret = unlink(f->path);