List:       9fans
Subject:    Re: standalone plan9
From:       gary () moria ! cs ! su ! OZ ! AU (Gary Capell)
Date:       1993-11-02 11:41:23

I am using a desktop PC as a standalone
plan 9 machine a lot of the time now.
The file system it uses is kfs (ken's file
system) which I think is on the distribution.

It's pretty neat, with 486/66, 8M I get a
reasonably useful system for software dev.,
and I use SLIP/carrying floppies to stay
consistent with our usual file server.

(I'm writing this from home, btw).

I see no reason why it wouldn't be possible
to do similar with a sun or sgi, it's just
that for portables, the x86 machines are cheaper,
more likely to be at home.

Cheers,
Gary.