List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Tip of the day
From:       Zak Jensen <coolguyzak () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-09-14 13:33:43

On 9/14/05, Thomas Zander <zander@kde.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 7 September 2005 10:06, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> > I am curious if anyone knows of a study showing if the tip of the day
> > dialog box is of any real value.
>
> I'll just bring up a reply I posted to an earlier similar question.
>
> Please look at the IntelliJ IDEA application that has some really good
> ideas.
>
> * it makes an effort to repeat the same tip at regular intervals (think
> every 3th time) for a number or times so you can learn it better.

As long as there is a tracking interface set up, it would probably be
better to disable the tip after the program determines that they are
using the feature... or after it has gone for a suitable length of
time after it was first displayed. (For instance, disable the tip for
a week after it was ignored for a few days, or something of that
nature).

This will allow the tips displayed to "cycle", and thus it will grab
the user's attention. If you display the same tips over and over...
they'll completely ignore it.

> * it only shows tips on features you have not actively started using.  We
> could do tracking which kaction is executed and not provide tips on those
> that have seen usage, for example. (Since there is nothing more silly
> then a user mentally answering 'yes I do' on the 'did you know?'
> question :)

I disagree with this. It should also show better ways of doing what
you do often, if such a thing is available.

> * the tips are shown on long-showing dialogs.  Progress dialogs,
> specifically.  The dialog starts normally and when the dialog is on for a
> couple of seconds and determines it will be showing progress for some
> time more, it expands and shows the tip.  With a checkbox 'keep this tip
> showing after the progress dialog closes'.

Interesting idea. If I can get my ktips revamp going for my senior
design project, I'll try incorporating this into it as well.