List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Tip of the day
From:       Zak Jensen <coolguyzak () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-09-07 17:29:00

On 9/7/05, Harijs Buss <hbush@apollo.lv> wrote:
> Well, now it sounds much better ;-)  Thanks for explaining.  Now I start to
> understand your idea better. Maybe... if you would call things in easy
> understandable names ("Learning" instead of "usability logging", etc.)

Sorry about that. However, I prefer to avoid euphamism whenever
possible. Usability logging was actually a separate aspect of the
system--an additional piece of functionality that it could be used in
as well. The logging portion would use the same API/hooks/libraries,
but would send information concerning how people use KDE back to the
developers. Of course, this could be controversial, and as such would
be purely optional. (But, you have to admit, useful).

Now that I think about it, it might even be useful for
state-tracking... if a developer is trying to figure out what caused a
bug, they could ask the original reporter to "enable usability
logging", and then it would do the same thing.

> AND if
> this thing would not scream and jump on me gesticulating annoyingly each
> several seconds,

Heavens no. Even thinking about that makes me cringe ;)

> AND if it will be easy to switch it off (and later maybe on)
> - it might be worth to try.

See my original post.

> What about KDE Kicker Applet, something like very
> useful Dictionary applet now?  Let me know when Beta version will be
> available ;-)

Once again, see my original post. ;)

Every time I talk about this idea, the privacy thing rears its ugly
head... and likewise with the "OH GOD NOT CLIPPY" stuff... which was
why I included the original conversation in my post. As soon as people
understand the idea, though... they usually come around ;)

I'm not sure if I will actually implement it. I'll have very little
time available to me once school starts back up. So, if my team
doesn't share my enthusiasm, I won't have the time to accomplish it.
I'll give it my all, though. :D

Also, it's nice to know that I already have folks interested in
helping out with it. Will make it much easier to sell the idea to the
rest of the team (and probably a professor or two ;)

Cheers,

Zak Jensen

> Harry
>
> P.S. Such thing maybe could be later integrated with some kind of
> context-aware guided interactive learning tool as one of options.  That might
> be nice and very useful thing indeed.

That's starting to sound a bit like clippy again. (I understand
entirely, but have to get in a snappy remark every once and a while...
it's my nature ;)

The possibilities for such a device seem innumerable. :D